At Lombardo & Cho Dentistry, we offer same-day dental crowns. Dental crowns are often used to repair a worn-down or damaged tooth. These restorations cover the entire tooth to restore its natural appearance and function. The effectiveness of dental crowns largely depends on the type of crown, how it is fixed, and how well you care for them.
Why Are Dental Crowns Used?
Your dentists may recommend getting dental crowns if you have severely worn down, weak teeth or to change the shape and size of uneven natural teeth. Crowns are also used to cover a large filling, protect a tooth after a root canal, hold a dental bridge, or cover dental implants.
What Are Same-Day Crowns?
A dental crown is a type of tooth restoration that is used to cover and protect a damaged tooth. Same-day crowns, also known as CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics) crowns, are made using computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology. This technology allows us to create a custom crown in our office while you wait, eliminating the need for multiple appointments and temporary crowns.
The Benefits of Same-Day Dental Crowns
There are many benefits to choosing same-day dental crowns, including:
- Convenience: With same-day crowns, you can have your damaged tooth restored in just one visit, saving you time and eliminating the need for multiple appointments.
- Comfort: Because same-day dental crowns are custom-made for your tooth, they fit perfectly and are more comfortable than traditional crowns.
- Durability: Same-day dental crowns are made from high-quality materials and are just as durable as traditional crowns.
- Aesthetics: dental crowns are designed to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, giving you a natural-looking and beautiful smile.
The Same-Day Crown Procedure
The same-day dental crown procedure typically takes about two hours to complete. During your appointment, we will:
- Prepare your tooth by removing any decay and shaping it to fit the crown.
- Use our CAD/CAM technology to take a digital impression of your tooth.
- Design your custom crown using our computer software.
- Create your crown using our in-office milling machine.
- Bond your new crown to your tooth using dental cement.
After your same-day dental crown is in place, you will be able to eat, drink, and smile with confidence!
What Are Dental Crown Options?
Crowns can range in different materials, which differ in appearance, durability, and cost. They include:
- Ceramic crowns or porcelain crowns, such as zirconia or lithium disilicate
- Metals, such as silver-based alloys, titanium, stainless steel, or gold crowns
- Metal-ceramic or Porcelain fused to a metal crown framework
- Composite resin crowns, similar to that used in dental fillings
What Is Required for Dental Crowns?
Although the teeth require reshaping to make room for the crowns, you need a sufficient amount of tooth for support. If the tooth structure is minimal, the caps will not bond properly and may cause them to fall out. Because of this, your dentist may spend more time preparing the tooth by creating a structure with a composite filling material to support the crowns.
What to Expect During the Procedure
The dentist will take X-rays and examine your mouth. They will note the tooth’s color to ensure the ceramic’s shade matches your surrounding teeth.
Some teeth may need to be filed away to ensure a good fit. With the help of a local anesthetic, the dentist will clean up any tooth decay and ensure the tooth’s pulp isn’t infected. The dentist preserves as much of the natural tooth as possible.
Impressions and Crown Fabrication
Your dentist then takes digital dental images of your tooth. Once we’re sure that your new crown has a proper fit, we’ll attach it to your tooth using dental cement. They then check to ensure your bite is even and not bothering or rubbing against other teeth.
Get Your Dental Crowns in Yucca Valley, CA
While the same-day dental crowns do not need any special dental instructions, you need to brush your teeth and provide proper care for the crowns to last.
Visit Lombardo & Cho Dentistry in Yucca Valley, CA for more information about dental crowns and what you can expect from the procedures. Call us now to book an appointment with a dentist near you. You can learn more about us by checking our business page, and make sure to get directions before heading our way.